Local Community Education and Outreach
Offerings began its work bringing current research and information to the San Francisco Bay Area Autism and Special Needs Community through the Marin & North Bay Autism Lecture Series. Speakers from leading research centers, such as the M.I.N.D & Brain Institute of Sacramento, University of California San Francisco, Stanford University and private therapists and medical practitioners presented their current research. Topics by Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Education Specialists, Parents, Technology Specialists and Vocational and Recreation Specialists were presented as well. The lectures were attended by parents, students, and professionals.
Offerings hosted an Autism & Special Needs Resource Fair bringing fifty plus vendors together so that families, students, and professionals could enjoy connecting to a plethora of services. On the same day, meaningful workshops were offered so participants could take home new ideas to help children, teens, and adults they serve.
In April of 2016, Offerings facilitated its first Autism Awesomeness event. Those living on the spectrum showcased their artistic, writing, musical, singing and technology gifts and talents. On April 28, 2018 Offerings offered its third Autism Awesomeness event demonstrating the capabilities of those with autism. We honored employers providing employment opportunities for those with autism. On April 27, 2019 the fourth Autism Awesomeness day will be held in San Rafael, at Bay View Presbyterian church.
During our seventh year of bringing workshops to the North Bay Area, Offerings brought “Hear Our Voices”and showcased people on the Autism Spectrum. Families and professionals heard their stories and learned from their challenges and wisdom.
During March 2018, Offerings presented “Addressing Learning Problems Associated with Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders". The RAD (Reading and Academic Development Center) researchers from the MIND Institute presented their research on reading and writing development as well as the social, cognitive development for those on the autism spectrum.
During the 2017-2018 school year, Offerings provided a four-part series to regular education teachers and special education teachers, working in the Marin County public schools. Teachers and instructional assistants received information on how to support the student with autism in the mainstreamed classroom.
In October of 2018, Offerings offered its first workshop to empower grandparents of children, teens and adults with Autism. Grandparents shared their stories and began to understand how to support their sons and daughters as well as their grandchildren with autism.
On January 19th, 2019 Offerings will offer “Girls on the Spectrum” at Marin County Office of Education in San Rafael, California.
Global Education & Mentoring
- In 2011 Offerings Executive Director connected with centers for special needs in Indonesia; on the island of Bali. She wasable to establish positive relationships withcenters offering workshops, making observations, providing suggestions and offering solutions to their education and therapeutic questions for educating children with Autism, Downs Syndrome, and other developmental learning disorders.
In the summer of 2013 Offerings brought Indonesia centers together to share and learn from each other and Offerings specialists. In the summer of 2014, Offerings brought professionals from Bali and Java together learn how to support people with special needs.
- During the summer of 2015 Offerings provided two special workshops at the Annika Linden Centre in Bali. These workshops focused on supporting the Wellness of special needs teams and understanding and supporting Siblings, who live with special needs brothers and sisters.
- Offerings also addressed curriculum development for children with Autism on the island of Java. Workshops were be hosted by the Autism Society of Indonesia and attended by teachers, administrators, and families.
- In 2016 Offerings brought centers for special needs together to increase their knowledge of Autism, Downs Syndrome, and Cerebral Palsy. A workshop was held for administrators on fundraising. Speech Therapists were brought up to date on the communication challenges of those with autism. Occupational Therapists were brought up to date on how sensory integration affects children with Autism.
- Offerings was proud to bring the special needs community together with the general community through a special one -day soccer skills event. Children with Autism, Downs Syndrome, and physical challenges played with their typical peers building understanding and acceptance.
- Offerings expanded its global outreach to Uganda, Africa in 2017, observing centers and schools for children with autism, offering suggestions for developing effective programs and meeting with families to offer solutions to their individual concerns. Offerings continued to bring communities together through sports by helping develop rugby skills in the special needs community.